NC Severe Weather Awareness Week - Statewide Tornado Drill Wednesday March 8th at 9:30. See Daphne's email about reminders and ways to prepare the students.
Transfers - The window will remain open until 11:59 PM on May 1, 2017. All information is posted on the intranet for your review http://www2.wcpss.net/. Via Raushawna L. Price Senior Director, Talent Acquisition
2017 SAS Curriculum Pathways Summer Teacher Institute - Deadline February 26 - Deadline - March 26th, 2017 at 11:59 pm EST
We are excited to announce our 2nd Summer Teacher Institute - an opportunity with area teachers to join our team for a paid, 8-week edtech immersion. You can find all the details here: http://blogs.sas.com/content/sascp/2017/01/31/2017-teacher-institute/.
Promotion/Intervention - Be sure to review the criteria for promotion/intervention letter for families. If you are on the fence on if you should send it, go ahead and send the letter home on the 8th. It will be important to communicate with families that is coming home and if they need to meet to have further conversations. Also, we added a letter in Spanish if need through our Document Translation Department.
Curriculum Procurement Update: Per Brian Kingsley (Superintendent of Academics) As our team continues moving towards a final recommendation to the Board of Education in April, we want to remind you of 3 important tasks:
- If your school is field testing a recommended resource, ALL field testers need to input their data in the assigned Google Community by end of day on Friday 3/10/17.
- Encourage all appropriate (Grades 3-8 ELA & HS Math) teachers to explore each vendor’s content in Canvas at bit.ly/wcpssinput.
b. These sites will be available until March 17 for exploration and providing feedback.
- IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - Please remind all staff that the school system has been granted a personal, revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the content files, for evaluation purposes only; solely for non-production testing, internal development, and evaluation purposes and not for commercial use.
School Improvement Plan - 2nd Quarter Data Review (mClass, Report Cards, and Case21). We have many things to be proud of our students work!
Math Problem Statement: The students that are not proficient on Case 21 and Report Card data are not retaining isolated skills over the course of a quarter/semester.
Math Action Steps: Modify current instructional strategies, create assessments that have current and previous (reviewed content), interviewing with previous grade levels about curriculum, re-visiting curriculum
Reading Problem Statement: 32% of 3rd grade students are not meeting benchmarks in literacy.Action Steps: Go into DEF report and list names of students in red or yellow. 3rd grade grade has restructured their day due to previous reading data, so the 3rd grade team will need to provide further/current data at next meeting to show if the restructuring of the day is working.
If interested, please see the Meeting minutes and data here- https://docs.google.com/a/wcpss.net/presentation/d/1A963DIsxw0hLmwX61UsSo0XPCTOudeUf6mviE6et3mQ/edit?usp=sharing
Magnet Visit - Thank you for letting Charlotte Magnet Schools and WCPSS into our fine arts electives. They were impressed with the teaching tools and learning objects that were taking place and the student engagement during the lessons.
PowerSchool and PowerTeacher Outage - PowerSchool and PowerTeacher will be unavailable from 5pm, Friday, March 10th until 6am, Monday, March 13th due to DPI system maintenance.
Office of Immigration and Refugees -- Contact information - P. Scott Phillips, PhD.
Field Office Director
US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
919-334-0072 ext. 4010
Elementary Arts Integration opportunity - there is a week-long Arts Integration Institute. Over the course of the week, scheduled for June 19-23 at the Cary Arts Center, professional teaching artists will lead hands-on activities for so classroom and arts teachers will learn ways to integrate arts disciplines across the curriculum. More info to come from United Arts.
Single Sign on Wake ID Portal - Having trouble managing the multiple login names and passwords you need to access applications such as Google Apps, Canvas and more? We have good news! Starting March 15, you will use the new WakeID Portal to access these and other applications in one place with one username and password.
- The first thing you will need to do on the morning of March 15 is claim your WakeID through the WakeID Portal. Your WakeID is the first part of your email address. You will need to follow a series of steps through the WakeID Portal to update your password and claim your account. The process will take about 10 minutes.
- You will receive more information about how to claim your WakeID account next week via email.
- The change over to the WakeID Portal will begin at 6 p.m. on March 14. You will not be able to access Google, PowerSchool/PowerTeacher, EASi, and any other application that uses your WakeID and password again until 6 a.m. on March 15.
- The WakeID Portal is where you will eventually access many resources including new email and intranet platforms.
- You will be able to use the WakeID Portal to reset your own password. Teachers will be able to use the WakeID Portal to reset students' passwords.
- Students will need to access their Google Apps and Canvas through the WakeID Portal, but they won't need to claim their accounts. Their default password will be their student number. Secondary students must change their passwords on their first login.
- More information is coming. Stay tuned!
June Explore Wake Schools is All About Teachers -The June issue of Explore Wake Schools magazine will focus on our outstanding teachers. Please use this form to nominate a colleague or two to be featured in this special issue.
Governor's Budget - https://www.osbm.nc.gov/2017-19-governors-recommended-budget?platform=hootsuite